Address: Geneva, Switzerland
Phone: +41 76 672 8927
B. Sc. in Computer Science
Roskilde University, Denmark,
Studies in Astronomy
Courses — selection
Tiba Project Management Basics, Developing secure software.
Stochastic Simulation, Statistical Design & Analysis of Experiments, Advanced Topics in Databases,
Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Systems, Language Engineering with Java and XML, Project
Management, Discrete Mathematics.
Platinum Award ($15k scholarship), International ThinkQuest Internet Challenge
Java Award, ThinkQuest Denmark
Haslev Gymnasium & HF Jubilee Scholarship
Mountaineering, Backcountry skiing, Running, Rock Climbing, Windsurfing, Soccer, Books.
March 2012 — Present
Software Engineer — Digital Library Technology Section
CERN — European Organization for Nuclear Research
Intergovernmental organisation for nuclear research that operates the world’s
largest particle physics laboratory. 15000 employees and users, €1B budget.
- Launched ZENODO, an innovative research data management service for long-tail research, backed by CERNs 100 petabyte research archive.
- Developed business plan and coordinated marketing efforts for ZENODO.
- Established key partnerships with high-profile universities and publishers, as well as systematically followed-up on product leads.
- Core contributor to Invenio modernization efforts.
- Co-editor of OpenAIRE Guidelines for Data Archive Managers.
- Recruited and supervised students.
Technologies: Python, Flask, Bootstrap, jQuery, Invenio Digital Library System, Redis, MongoDB, Apache, Git, XML, XSLT, MySQL, OAI-PMH, MARC
August 2007 — February 2012
Web & Advanced Projects Coordinator — Education and Public Outreach Department
European Southern Observatory
Intergovernmental organisation for astronomical research that builds and
operates a suite of the world's most advanced ground-based astronomical telescopes. 750 employees, €135M
- Management of Web & Advanced Projects team (7 staff/contractors).
- Project manager and lead developer of 6 major django-based websites: eso.org,
spacetelescope.org, iau.org, astronomy2009.org, portaltotheuniverse.org, internal web-based digital
signage system - features include e.g. media archives, webshops, a member database and an astronomy news
- Increased number of web visitors with 70% by relaunching spacetelescope.org.
- Successfully planned and executed a digitization and metadata-tagging project of
25 years of unarchived press releases, images, videos, brochures and other public outreach products.
- Improved quality and productivity of web publishing (from 500 to 3000
tasks/year) by introducing issue tracking, workflows and a tailored web content management system among
- Product management of 3 iPad/iPhone apps: Hubble Top 100 Images (>250.000
installations), ESO Top 100 Images, Portal to the Universe App.
MySQL, Memcache, Mercurial, CVS, SVN, jQuery, XMP, HTML5, Active Directory.
February 2007 — July 2007
Internship — Mathematical & Computational Sciences
- Development of a system for expert knowledge elicitation from a large number of experts for use
in Bayesian networks.
Technologies: Technologies: Java EE, Eclipse Rich Client Platform, IBM DB2, Spring
Framework, IBM WebSphere
April 2012 — August 2007 part-time
Web Development Freelancer — Hubble European Information Centre
European Space Agency
Information Centre for The Hubble Space Telescope (international project
between NASA and ESA).
- Lead developer of graphic-designer-friendly image processing tool, used to
easily create stunning astronomical colour images from raw scientific observations with high dynamic
- Implemented video podcast delivery infrastructure, serving 100 TB/month.
- Responsible for web infrastructure during the International Astronomical Union
General Assembly 2006 when Pluto was re-classified as dwarf planet. Handled more than 350 requests/sec
during peak load.
- Entrepreneurial experience from setting up and running a one-man company.
Technologies: C++, Adobe Photoshop APIs, PHP, Perl, Apache
August 2002 — January 2004 part-time
Tycho Brahe Planetarium
Tycho Brahe Planetarium is Denmark’s most advanced centre for popularizing
- Project management and implementation of company website in eZ publish CMS, with
features such as ticket reservation system, credit card payment and live sky information.
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, Apache, eZ publish, Linux
July 2000 — August 2000
Testing Assistant Datacom Network & IP Services
February 2000 — August 2002 part-time
Publications — selection
Open source software
Selected university projects:
- Probability Elicitation in Bayesian Networks: Automatic Generation of Questionnaires
- Integration of Program Analyses in Eclipse
- Practical Aspects of Solving Set Constraints
- Credibility of Science Communication: An Exploratory Study of News Releases in Astronomy
- Type Analysis of PHP-Scripts
Full list of publications available on http://www.hankat.dk/publications.html
Conference talks — selection
ESO Gone AVM. Astronomy Visualization Metadata Workshop 2010, Los Angeles (October 25-26).
Managing Astronomy Outreach Web Content. Communicating Astronomy with the Public 2010
Conference, Cape Town (March 15-19).
- Elected member of the youth council in the city of Ringsted, Denmark (2000 – 2001).
- Chairman of student council at Haslev Gymnasium & HF, Denmark (1999 – 2000).
- Chairman of Ringsted Computerklub, arranging net parties for 250+ people (1998 – 2000).